Ashford Town 3-2 Guernsey

McLeish-White 44’, 86’; Brown 70’ - Smith 32’; Allen 52’.

Guernsey twice saw a lead wiped out before eventually going down to a late winner against Ashford Town on Saturday.

A tenacious goal for Kyle Smith and another for Ross Allen saw the Green Lions ahead in either half, but they couldn’t hold on as the hosts, who were GFC’s 100th different opponent in their history, twice profited from their visitors giving the ball away when trying to play out the back in the final 20 minutes, with the winner coming in the final five.

It means the Green Lions have lost five on the spin and haven’t won in eight, but performance-wise it was a step in the right direction after last Tuesday’s thrashing by Marlow.

Kyle Smith had an early chance from the edge of the box towards bottom left corner, but Paul McCarthy got behind it. A second shot on target within four minutes from Ross Allen was also dealt with.

Josh Addison was alert in the seventh minute to save as a corner was diverted towards him by a stray boot that swung at a clearance, then McLeish-White could only find the Guernsey stopper as Ashford prevented the visitors playing out and attacked again.

Allen won the ball back and set up Matt Loaring on 13 minutes but McCarthy was there again to make the save.

The Tangerines best chance of opening quarter came through as Fred Hill put McLeish-White in behind, but Addison rushed out to make a vital block at the striker’s feet before Jamie Dodd made a crucial block on the goal-line as Daniel Brown looked to slot in the rebound.

Clyde Obdo blew a simple chance to give the hosts the lead as he met Hill’s free-kickin the six-yard box but struck it straight at Addison. The Sarnian stopper launched a quick counter to send Loaring towards goal, but he couldn’t get a clean enough connection to trouble McCarthy as he cut in 25 yards out.

Tyler McKane came close midway through the half as he shot from just inside the box but narrowly cleared the crossbar, while the off-balance Carlos Canha could only lift his volley high and wide on the turn as a corner to the far post was diverted towards him.

Guernsey were gifted the lead just after the half-hour thanks to the determination of Smith. The number nine McCarthy’s clearance, eventually tapping the loose ball over the line for his second goal of the season.

Allen had two bites of the cherry on 37 minutes as he saw his initial shot blocked, but got the rebound all wrong as he shanked it off target.

Smith’s daisy cutter, after good work by Loaring and Liam Mahon to work the chance, was saved by McCarthy on 41 minutes, while Abraham Enamorado cleared from Allen, who had turned his man and struck towards goal a minute later.

The Green Lions had looked dangerous but couldn’t keep their lead until half-time, with top-scorer McLeish-White steering home from close range as he met Ethan Hellyer’s deft through ball.

Both sides had chances to go in front before the break, with a delivery to the far post by Sam Humphreys just evading McLeish-White, and Loaring cutting inside at the other end before seeing his effort blocked.

Hellyer found himself through early in the second half but couldn’t make the most of it.

Allen missed by what his standards was a sitter, placing his shot the wrong side of the far post after Canha had got on the end of Dodd’s throw pulled the ball back from the byline.

However, the number 10 made up for it just moments later as he put his side back in front on 51 minutes. Ben Acey ran into the box to collect Canha’s pass, then teed up Loaring on the left, who clipped a cross in from the left, Allen arriving at the far post right on cue to tuck it in back across goal.

The offside flag denied Dan Brown when he headed home Fred Hill’s cross on the hour. The number seven also saw his effort deflected wide as the hosts broke two v two and McLeish-White teed him up.

There was an element of fortune as Ashford got level again with 20 minutes left, as Dan Brown’s collected a square ball into the box. His potshot took a deflection to take it away from Addison towards the far corner.

Addison made a brilliant save down to his right at his near post to prevent Hellyer putting his side in front for the first time in the game, but the Tangerines finally did turn the game around with less than five minutes to go.

Unfortunately is was the visitors own as Tom Martin gave it away cheaply to McLeish-White, who took advantage as he drove into the box, finishing at the second time of asking via the underside of the crossbar after Addison had blocked the initial shot.

McLeish-White should have put this side out of sight soon after. Guernsey hadn’t learned their lesson as a loose pass as the back was seized upon by Brown to tee up his team-mate, but the number nine scooped it wide with the outside of his boot.

Addison went up for a late corner and nearly got on the end of the delivery but GFC ran out of time and dropped to 18th in Isthmian South Central.

Saturday’s other results were as follows: Basingstoke 0-1 Marlow; Bracknell Town 2-0 South Park; Chertsey Town 2-4 Northwood; Chipstead 0-1 Staines Town; Hanwell Town 3-0 Bedfont Sports; Sutton Common Rovers 2-4 Westfield; Totting & Mitcham United 2-1 Chalfont St Peter; Uxbridge 2-2 Binfield.

Ashford Town: 1 Paul McCarthy; 2 Alex Duffy (14 Fred Hill, 9’); 3 Abraham Enamorado; 4 Siao Blackwood; 5 Rhys Paul; 6 Clyde Obdo; 7 Daniel Brown; 8 Ahmad Mirza (15 Ben Geragthy, HT); 9 Aaron McLeish-White; 10 Sam Humphreys; 11 Ethan Hellyer. Not used: 12 Dale Burnham; 15 Jamie Watson; 17 Michael Warner.

Booked: Brown, Blackwood.

Guernsey: 1 Josh Addison; 2 Tyler McKane; 3 Jamie Dodd (c); 4 Carlos Canha; 5 Tom Martin; 6 Ben Le Tocq; 7 Matt Loaring (12 Glenn Le Tissier, 87’); 8 Liam Mahon; 9 Kyle Smith; 10 Ross Allen; 11 Ben Acey. Not used: 14 Louis Hunter; 15 George McNeela.

Booked: Dodd.

Attendance: 89.

Highlights are available now on GFCTV.