Guernsey 0-3 Bracknell Town

Tarpey 7’, 50’, 81.

Guernsey got the best indication yet of the standards to aspire to in Isthmian South Central as Bracknell Town claimed a ruthless 3-0 win at Footes Lane on Wednesday night.

The Green Lions put in a shift but never really looked like getting anything out of a clash with perhaps the league’s strongest side and favourites to win the league.

Despite falling behind early, Tony Vance’s side rallied to finish the first half strongly, but a deflected goal just a few minutes into the second half effectively killed the tie off as a contest and it became about digging in, before Dave Tarpey eventually completed his hat-trick in the final 10 minutes.

His first came in the seventh minute as he was teed up on the edge of the box and send wicked dipper out of Josh Addison’s reach into the corner.

Just before the quarter-hour, Seb Bowerman’s goalbound shot was bravely blocked and Daniel Baylis nodded just wide after the ball was recycled by the visitors.

Max Herbert lifted over after a cross was half-cleared, and the Sarnians’ first chance on goal came on the half hour. Allen drove forward after early substitute Ben Acey (who came on for Louis Graham, whose injury is hopefully not as bad as first feared), teed him up and was brought down. His free-kick almost found the top-left corner but Michael Eacott stretched just enough on his dive to tip it over.

Herbert drilled narrowly wide of Addison’s right-hand post, but that was the only further chance in a half that GFC finished having shown signs of encouragement.

If they could have kept it tight until late in the game, there would have been all to play for, but a wicked deflection was their undoing on 50 minutes as Targpey picked the ball up on the edge of the box and saw his shot clip a trailing GFC leg and lop over the stranded Addison, to almost certainly put the game beyond the hosts.

Shortly before that Addison had been alert to claim a ball that Mickel Platt had turned towards goal from a left-wing cross.

Matt Loaring replaced Keanu Marsh after the second goal, making him only the second player (after club captain Jamie Dodd) to reach 300 appearances – a tremendous achievement.

10 minutes into the half, GFC seized onto a loose ball in midfield, with Kieran Mahon eventually taking up possession. He drove forward and let fly but his shot hit a defender and looped away for a corner.

One of GFC’s set-piece routine’s saw Charlton Gauvain’s cross cause havoc and was fired in on goal by a man in green during the melee, but Eacott showed good reflexes to make the block and a defender hacked the loose ball away.

Tarpey completed his triple as the game moved into the final 10 minutes, planting home a simple header as he met a cross from the left.

Bowerman saw a free-kick diverted just over and Shamar Moore’s close-range finish was rightly chalked off for offside, while a cross from the left was just too high for James Clark to keep on target in the closing stages.

One for the Green Lions to not dwell on as they continue looking to get up to speed this season.

Guernsey remain 16th in the table with the other midweek results as follows: Basingstoke Town 1-5 Chertsey Town, Binfield 1-5 Hanwell Town, South Park 1-1 Bedfont Sports, Thatcham Town 4-0 Staines Town.

Guernsey: 1 Josh Addison; 2 Keanu Marsh (14 Matt Loaring 52’); 3 Ben Le Tocq; 4 Thomas Dodds; 5 Tom Strawbridge; 6 Kieran Mahon; 7 Charlton Gauvain (12 Robbie Legg 65’); 8 Liam Mahon; 9 Kyle Smith; 10 Ross Allen (c); 11 Louis Graham (15 Ben Acey, 18’). Not used: 13 Jordan Kelly; 16 Carlos Canha.

Booked: Dodds, Strawbridge, K Mahon.

Bracknell Town: 1 Michael Eacott; 2 Jack Dean; 3 Ethan Burden; 4 Temitope Eweka; 5 Daniel Bayliss; 6 George Knight (18 Scott Rees 73’); 7 Max Herbert (c); 8 Michael Atkinson (14 Shamar Moore 83’); 9 David Tarpey; 10 Mickel Platt (12 James Clark 71’); 11 Sebastian Bowerman. Not used: 15 Balai Dembele; 17 Anthony Cheshire.

Booked: Eweka.

Attendance: 861.

Highlights will be available on GFCTV soon.