Hartley Wintney are the new holders of the Mike Thomas Memorial Trophy after a 3-0 win over Guernsey at the Corbet Field.

The Green Lions played some neat football but were lacking in attacking options against a side now one level higher than them in the non-league pyramid, but there were some bright showings across the pitch and more pre-season minutes in the legs.

Matt Loaring had the first sight of goal inside four minutes as he ran onto Kieran Mahon’s lobbed through ball, but he sliced wide as the ball bounced up outside the area.

Kofi Halliday could only find the side netting from a angle as he met a low cross, then the visitors took the lead on the quarter hour mark.

The home supporters were perplexed as the referee pointed to the penalty spot after Jacob Fallaize appeared to win the ball in the box. Kyen Nicholas sent Addison diving to his left and tucked his effort calmly down the middle.

Nicholas tried his luck from 25 yards shortly before the half-hour but Addison saw it wide.

Fallaize almost got lucky just before the break as he overhit a free-kick from inside his own half. Goalkeeper Adam Desbois misjudged the flight of the ball, only just getting an hand to push it wide as it looked set to drop in.

The Row doubled their lead 10 minutes in the second half. Harry Cooksley slipped through along the byline a little too easily and picked out Nicholas, who had time to turn in the box and fire home.

Jake Lowe clipped a ball from the left to set Loaring into the area but his shot from the edge of the area was straight at Desbois.

Addison got down to his right to make a fine reaction stop to deny Isaac Charles as the visitors won the ball back in midfield and broke quickly.

Kieran Mahon’s fierce drive from brother Liam’s short free-kick brought a good save out of Desbois as GFC continued to seek a way back into the game, but Hartley got themselves a third with 10 minutes to go as Rahzir Smith-Jones picked out the corner after a slick move by the visitors.

The Sarnians kept at it though, with Thomas Dodds’ curler from range flashing just wide.

Defender Aaron Goode almost scored a spectacular fourth for Hartley as he tried his luck from the halfway line with Addison off his line. Luckily for the Guernsey stopper, the ball bounced of the top of the crossbar into his possession.

The Green Lions now have two weeks until their season gets underway at Thatcham Town, which gives Tony Vance more time to get his squad set for another long campaign.

Guernsey: 1 Josh Addison; 3 Jake Lowe; 4 Tom Vaudin (16 Ben Solway 73’); 5 Jacob Fallaize; 14 Jamie Dodd (c); 6 Thomas Dodds; 7 Kieran Mahon; 8 Matt Loaring (12 Tyler McKane 82’); 9 Keene Domaille; 10 Liam Mahon; 11 Joe Alvarez (15 Brandon Wallace 62’).

Booked: Dodds.

Hartley Wintney: 1 Adam Desbois; 2 Richard Jones Jr; 3 Jake Rumble; 4 Aaron Goode; 5 Toby Nevile; 6 George Spiers; 7 Jonny Efe; 8 Anis Nuur; 10 Harry Cooksley; 11 Kofi Halliday; 18 Kyen Nicholas. Subs used: Jamal Branker; Isaac Charles; Rahzir Smith-Jones; Triallist.

Goals: Nicholas 15’ (pen), 55’; Smith-Jones 80’.