Guernsey 1-2 Tooting & Mitcham United

Allen (pen) 56’ – Stewart 83’; Sorr 84’.

Guernsey were stunned by two goals in the final seven minutes to see a victory turned into defeat to Tooting & Mitcham United at Footes Lane on Sunday.

The Green Lions led through Ross Allen’s penalty and while the contest was even, Tony Vance’s side were fairly in control in looking to see the game out. Having been unable to nick a second, the were stunned by two supersubs, both from range.

On a blustery afternoon, neither side was unable to stamp real authority early on. It took until the 12th minute for the first effort on goal as Kyle Smith met a low corner and saw his low shot blocked in the six-yard box. He got a second bite at the cherry but this time the effort deflected off a defender and looped onto the crossbar.

Josh Addison got down to his right to push away after Jordan Clarke tried his luck from 25 yards out, while Shakei Morris’ dipper flew just over the bar after he had driven forward as the visitors countered from a GFC corner.

Daniel Williams dragged wide across goal from both sides or the area, while Andrew Sesay should have put his side in front from close range when Mark Waters pulled the ball across from the byline, but didn’t connect as he went for the flick.

Williams had one more chance before the break as he hooked towards goal at the near post but he was stretching for it, making for a comfortable save for Addison.

Despite not having many chances of their own, Guernsey had looked to play on the front foot, and it brought a few more opportunities in the second half. They took the lead 10 minutes into the second half.

Allen was initially denied by a timely block tackle after working space for himself, but the loose ball was picked up by Liam Mahon. He picked out Charlton Gauvain to the right of the penalty area, who was then clumsily barged to the ground by Billy Brown, and there was little complaint when the referee pointed to the spot. Allen duly dispatched the penalty coolly into the bottom right corner.

There were still warning signs from the visitors. Shortly after the goal, Williams beat Addison to a quick free-kick but his hook towards goal was seen wide by Tom Strawbridge. Addison then did well to claim under pressure as a flicked on threatened to creep in under the crossbar.

The Green Lions almost capitalised on a defensive error as Gauvian chased down a pass back to goalkeeper Mackenzie Foley and blocked the clearance. The loose ball fell for Smith, but he couldn’t quite turn it in from an acute angle as Foley got back to block it.

Substitute Dontai Stewart sliced well high and wide just inside the area with just over 10 minutes left, and Gauvain muscled Daly off the ball before opting to shoot low form the right side of the area, which turned out to be a comfortable save for Foley.

The Sarnians were managing the game well and it looked like they’d keep the visitors at arm’s length. But out of the blue it was 1-1 as Stewart collected the ball and stroked in a low shot from way out that couldn’t have been more perfectly placed, creeping into the bottom right corner agonisingly out of reach out Addison’s full-stretch dive.

If having two points snatched away in the dying stages wasn’t frustrating enough, the Terrors turned the result on its head just a minute later. And it was from another substitute, Zaid Quaret Sorr, as Williams teed him up to tuck the ball into the same bottom corner from the edge of the box to stun the Green Lions, who were looking in good shape for three points just two minutes earlier but were now facing a Halloween horror.

Addison punched away a free-kick from Stewart three minutes later while Strawbridge, sent up as an emergency centre-forward for the dying minutes, connected well with a half-volley from distance that whistled narrowly wide.

A late flurry from Guernsey at the other end brought a couple of free-kicks to deliver into the box, but did not lead to any further chances to snatch back a point, and Vance’s side were left extremely frustrated at Tooting’s smash-and-grab victory.

The result means GFC stay 16th in Isthmian South Central, but they still have plenty of games to catch up on in a bid to rise up the table.

Guernsey: 1 Josh Addison; 2 Frank Tobin; 3 Ben Le Tocq; 4 Thomas Dodds; 5 Tom Strawbridge; 6 Kieran Mahon; 7 Charlton Gauvain; 8 Liam Mahon (15 Ben Acey, 80’); 9 Kyle Smith; 10 Ross Allen; 11 Matt Loaring (14 Robbie Legg, 88’). Not used: 12 Keanu Marsh; 13 Jordan Kelly; 16 Jamie Dodd.

Booked: Gauvain.

Tooting & Mitcham United: 1 Mackenzie Foley; 2 Nicolai Krokhin; 3 Dean Hamlin; 4 Mark Waters; 5 Nathan Daly; 6 Ahkeem Belford; 7 Shakei Morris (16 Anuar Ceesay, 63’); 9 Daniel Williams; 10 Jordan Clarke (8 Zaid Quaret Sorr, 77’); 11 Andrew Ceesay; 14; Billy Brown (15 Dontai Stewart, 73’). Not used: 12 Abayomi Obefami; 17 Pedro Moco.

Booked: Belford.

Attendance: 779.

Highlights are available to view now on GFCTV.