GUERNSEY           1 (Wallace, 40')
LEATHERHEAD   4 (Robinson 25', 35'; Hector 60'; Lawson 78')

Guernsey had another bad day at the office as the handed a few gifts to Leatherhead in the visitors’ 4-1 victory at Footes Lane on Saturday afternoon.

The Green Lions competed with their promotion chasing hosts for much of the afternoon but some individual errors allowed them to take control of the clash, especially a rocky period in the first half that allowed them to go two in front.

Brandon Wallace scored his first goal at Footes Lane with a fantastic lob to get the Sarnians back in the game but they couldn’t build on it in the second half and the Tanners eased away.

GFC started brightly enough, with Ross Allen’s brushing the side netting with a low free-kick and Brandon Wallace’s curler held by Amadou Tangara.

Fabio Saraiva should have done better than miss the target at the far post in meeting Kenny Beaney’s corner in between, and Trevan Robinson fired well wide when trying to catch out Josh Addison from range.

Before that’s Guernsey most clear-cut chance of the half came as Allen evaded the attention of several defender on the right and got the ball across to Matt Loaring. Loaring worked himself a yard but mis marker made a good block as he pulled the trigger.

The opening goal on 25 minutes was gift-wrapped from the returning Josh Addison. He read a long ball well to collect it just inside the area, but let it squirm out his grasp and Robinson was able to stroke into an empty net from 18 yards.

That one mistake seemed to reverberate around the team as they suddenly became very rocky, giving the ball away in dangerous positions and presenting chances to the visitors.

Jamie Dodd stuck out a leg in the six-yard box to divert a Robinson shot away from goal, while Addison smothered well as Ibrahim Olutade tried to finish off Michael Elechi’s cutback.

Ben Solway bailed out Addison after the keeper’s straightforward kick went straight to Robinson, the centre-back making a great recovery tackle as Olutade shaped to shoot.

Leatherhead’s second on 35 minutes could also have been avoided. Solway looked to shepherd the ball out for a goal kick but Olutade slipped round him and kept the ball in, pulling back for Robinson to sweep home his second from six yards.

A high visitor press earned them another chance three minutes later but Robinson fired over. GFC gave the ball straight back from the goal kick but Addison atoned by sticking out a leg to save in his six-yard box.

Guernsey were all at sea and needed something out of nothing to get back into the game, and it was something special. Dave Rihoy challenged for Allen’s free-kick and the loose ball fell to Wallace, who looked up and let fly from 30 yards out, his lob sailing just over Tangara’s outstretched fingertips and under the crossbar.

Suddenly the complexion of the game changed and the Green Lions were sparked into life. Ross Allen’s whipped free-kick almost led to an equaliser but it bounced just the wrong side of the far post as it evaded everyone in the middle. Leatherhead skipper Beaney cleared the crossbar with a free-kick to see the half out.

But the hosts were unable to rally after the turnaround and while they moved the ball forward well, couldn’t work any meaningful chances.

At the other end, Dodd blocked on the line as Elechi went low across goal, but the Guernsey captain was left red-faced on the hour as he surrended possession to Robinson, who exchanged passes with Olutade before bearing down on goal. His effort struck the foot of the far post but Daniel Hector was on hand to turn in the rebound.

Saraiva sent a free-kck curling just wide and Robinson glanced wide from Elechi’s excellent cross into the six-yard box as the Tanners looked to put the game to bed. In response, Guernsey could only muster a chance for Simon Arnold but Tangara gathered it comfortably at his near post.

Tyler Cox was the architect of the Tanners’ fourth, driving down the right and exchanging a couple of passes before crossing low for Robinson. The number 10 was unable to complete his hat-trick but the ball fell kindly for Omarr Lawson to fire into the roof of the net.

To their credit, Guernsey kept at it and came close to a consolation. Tangara adjust his feet well to turn over after Wallace’s shot was deflected, Allen overhit a free-kick from the left which cleared the crossbar, and Niall Hainsworth lifted over from range in the closing stages.

But the game was over by this point. It’s another fixture that Tony Vance’s side can move on quite quickly, with this perhaps not being a fixture that they targeted maximum points from. More important games await against Hanworth Villa and Uxbridge over the next week.

Guernsey remain 14th in Isthmian South Central with Saturday’s other results as follows: Ascot United 0-3 Westfield, Ashford Town 0-1 South Park Reigate, Badshot Lea 4-0 Northwood, Binfield 1-2 Marlow, Chertsey Town 4-1 Corinthian-Casuals, Chipstead 2-0 Uxbridge, Hanworth Villa 2-1 Sutton Common Rovers, Hartley Wintney 2-2 Thatcham Town, Raynes Park Vale 2-0 Southall.

GUERNSEY: 1 Josh ADDISON; 2 Jacques CAUVIN ; 3 Jamie DODD (c); 4 Dave MERRIS (14 Simon ARNOLD, 75’); 5 Ben SOLWAY (16 Oscar LEADBEATER, 88’); 6 Tom DODDS; 7 Dave RIHOY; 8 Seb VANCE (12 Niall HAINSWORTH, 78’); 9 Brandon WALLACE; 10 Ross ALLEN; 11 Matt LOARING. Not used: 13 Jordan KELLY; 15 Tom VAUDIN.

Booked: Dodd, Allen.

LEATHERHEAD: 1 Amadou TANGARA; 2 Tyler COX; 3 Michael ELECHI; 4 Fiyako ATEWOLOGUN; 5 Frank PUEMO (16 Luther WILLIAMS, 82’); 7 Daniel HECTOR (14 Trey MASIKINI, 82’); 8 Kenny BEANEY (c); 9 Ibrahim OLUTADE (12 Ghas SOW, 68’); 10 Trevan ROBINSON; 11 Omarr LAWSON. Not used: 15 Mondjigui SAVENE; 17 Marty GAGE.

Booked: Cox, Puemo, Hector, Beaney.

Attendance: 688.

GFCTV highlights will soon be uploaded to our social media and YouTube channels.