Cherstey Town       4 (Montague (pen) 13', 54'; Baxter 67', 75')

Braces from William Montague and Jake Baxter ensured the Curfews repeated the scoreline from the fixture last season and leaped back into the play-off places on a difficult afternoon for 10-man Guernsey.

The Green Lions started the more confident side, however they gifted their opponents the chance to snatch an early lead when a loose pass back from the returning Tom Martin allowed Trevan Robinson to burst into the box and draw a foul from Jacob Fallaize.

Montague coolly sent Jason Martin the wrong way to open the scoring on 13 minutes. The goal lifted the tails of Chertsey, who were without a win in their previous four league matches, while doing the complete opposite for the Sarnians.

It went from bad to worse soon after as Tom Martin tried to atone for his cousin Jason’s error on the edge of the box, but instead found himself sent off for a rash challenge on Trevan Robinson.

The resulting free-kick gave Baxter two gilt-edged opportunities to double the lead, the first of which was brilliantly saved by Jason Martin and the second from the rebound cannoned just wide of the post.

Baxter then missed a host of glorious chances extend the advantage and put the game beyond doubt before half-time.

Instead it was Will Fazakerley who could’ve drawn Guernsey level with the last kick of the first half as he burst in behind thanks a brilliant pass from Keanu Marsh, but Nicholas Jupp stuck out a leg to turn the low shot behind.

The Sarnians were being pinned back further and further in the second half due to their man disadvantage, with Baxter and Montague going close once again and the relentless pressure eventually told.

Less than 10 minutes into the half, a seemingly routine clearance was scuffed into the air following a slip in defence, and Montague pounced to guide a volley into the top corner.

A two-goal deficit forced Guernsey to come out to try and get something from the game, leaving them susceptible to the counter attack. A promising ball into the box fell to substitute Robbie Legg, only for Daryll Harrison to pinch the ball away and set Mason Welch-Turner on a marauding run up the left flank. The full-back had the composure to pick out Baxter in the box and a heavy first touch worked in the striker's favour, allowing him to delightfully dink the ball over Martin and put the outcome beyond doubt.

Just eight minutes later, the striker was in on goal again thanks to an outrageous 60-yard half-volley pass from Lee Lewis. Baxter provided the finish to match having gone one-on-one with Martin.

Montague had two magnificent opportunities to complete his hat-trick late on, but Martin was equal to both attempts despite being injured in rushing out of goal to beat an attacker to the ball.

Guernsey drop into 19th and must regather themselves quickly as they prepare to host Ashford Town on 8 October.

Saturday's other results were as follows: Ashford Town 2-1 Northwood, Chipstead 2-1 Uxbridge, Leatherhead 0-0 Basingstoke Town, Merstham 0-0 Marlow, Sutton Common Rovers 1-1 Southall, Thatcham Town 5-1 Bedfont Sports, Totting & Mitcham United 1-1 South Park.

Chertsey Town: 1 Nicholas Jupp; 2 Rowan Smith; 3 Mason Welch-Turner; 4 Quincy Rowe; 5 Darryl Harrison; 6 Kieran Murphy; 7 Trevan Robinson (12 Kai Hamilton Olise, 69'); 8 Lee Lewis; 9 Jake Baxter; 10 William Montague; 11 Bryan Taylor (15 Lewis Driver, 70' (14 Morgan Cooper, 84')). Not used: 16 Sam Hurrell, 17 Reagan Forbes.

Goals: Montague (pen) 13', 54; Baxter 67', 75'. Booked: Rowe, Taylor.

Guernsey: 1 Jason Martin; 2 Keanu Marsh (14 Danny Hale, 56'), 3 Jamie Dodd, 4 Tom Vaudin, 5 Jacob Fallaize (15 Paris Pereira, 76'), 6 Tom Martin, 7 Liam Mahon, 8 Joe Alvarez, 9 Will Fazakerley, 10 Sam Murray (Robbie Legg 59'), 11 Matt Loaring.

Booked: Fallaize, Fazakerley. Sent off: T Martin.

Attendance: 401.

Highlights are available on GFCTV now.