Guernsey FC
Guernsey FC
1 - 3
Spennymoor Town
Spennymoor Town


Cup - FA Vase



No matter that is ended in a defeat, March 23rd 2013 will forever go down as a huge day in Guernsey FC history.

Despite the worst problems with the Footes Lane pitch being dealt with, the pitch was still taking a peltering from the bad weather and once again this game was in doubt. A postponement was unthinkable given the fixture congestion the Green Lions already faced. So the community got together to make sure it went ahead.

Following a call to arms from the club on social media, teams of people responded and were forking the pitch to help the drainage throughout the night before, and the most innovative intervention was to come on the morning of the game when a helicopter was summoned to fly near ground level to help blow surface water off the pitch.

It'll all helped got the game on, and the best was year to come as more than 4,000 islanders streamed into Footes Lane to watch one of the biggest games in the island's history, an attendance record that GFC will do well to come anywhere near in the future.

Spennymoor came to Footes Lane with a big non-league pedigree and they showed it with a powerful and streetwise performance. 

Dominic Heaume scored shortly before half-time to cancel out Steve Richardson's opener, but that was as good as it got, with Richardson getting his second after an hour and Andy Stephenson made it 3-1.

GFC skipper Sam Cochrane was sent off late on as the red mist decended and he threw an elbow at an opponent, but it was a great day nonetheless, even if Tony Vance's side face a huge task in the second leg next week to turn the tide around.

Shirt Player Yellow Cards Red Cards Goals
1 Chris Tardif - - -
2 Jacques Isabelle - - -
3 Jamie Dodd - - -
4 Sam Cochrane - 1 -
5 Alex Le Prevost - - -
6 Kieran Mahon - - -
7 Glyn Dyer 1 - -
8 Scott Bradford (Matt Loaring 59') - - -
9 Dominic Heaume - - 1
10 Ross Allen - - -
11 Dave Rihoy - - -
1 Matt Loaring - - -
FA Vase, Semi-Final, 1st Leg